How it Works
How it Works
Participate as an Individual
If you just want a fun way to get fit and healthy and do something positive for our environment, then register for Bike to Work week. It is quick, easy, free and fun to participate in!
Simply click on the orange Register button.
If you register as an Individual or Solo Rider now, you can create a team later if you decide to, or you can join a team later.
Start a Team & Become a Team Leader
Register and start a team today!
What is a Team Leader?
A Team Leader is someone in the workplace that motivates co-workers to participate in Bike to Work week. As the Team Leader, you can add people to your team in the registration system, or people can register and join your team.
Team Leaders can hang Bike to Work week posters in their workplace (e.g. in the lunch room, elevators, etc.) to help raise awareness about Bike to Work week.
Team Leaders can monitor teammates' participation through their Bike to Work week Dashboard and encourage teammates to log their kilometres, or alternatively Team Leaders can log teammates' kilometres for teammates.
Team Leaders can also organize friendly competitions within their team: who can cycle the most kilometres during BTWW, who can cycle the most trips during BTWW, who can cycle to work the most days during BTWW?
As a Team Leader, you help make a positive difference in people's lives. As you watch your teammates make healthier lifestyle choices and choose to cycle instead of drive, you will feel proud of your leadership.
How to be a Team Leader:
- Register now (click the orange Register button)
- After you enter your personal information, choose to register as a Team Leader
- Create a Team
How to Motivate Teammates:
- Login to your Dashboard
- Click "Communication" and email possible teammates to see if they want to join your team
- Hang posters in your workplace to spread the word about the week
- Talk to your employer about creating safe bike storage at your workplace
- Talk to your employer about organizing prizes for workplace competitions
- Hold an information session at lunch to rally your team (or try to sign people up to join your team)
- Hold a route planning session to teach first time commuter cyclists how to safely plan their routes
- Encourage teammates to familiarize themselves with safe cycling skills
- Encourage teammates to log their kilometres cycled in their Dashboard to see how many calories they burned and how many kilograms of greenhouse gases they have saved
- Celebrate your teams successes with a party or special breakfast or lunch
Bike to Work Week is a great way to encourage co-workers to try cycling to work at least one day during the week of the event. People who bike to work quote benefits of being less stressed, more relaxed and rejuvenated, and experience increased sense of well-being.
Employers benefit from their employees biking to work too! People who bike to work have a lower absenteeism, take less sick days, are more productive, and are happier, healthier employees.