Bike Tips: Sharing the Road with Transit Buses
Here are 6 tips when sharing the road with Buses:
- Don’t pass on the right while a bus is stopped. Stay behind the bus or where drivers can see you. Buses may pull over at a bus stop without warning.
- Maintain a straight line while riding. Avoid erratic movements and maintain your manoeuvrability, predictability and visibility (MVP).
- Prepare for buses that must cross in and out of bike lanes.
- Share the road. Give buses plenty of room. Stay behind or in front, not alongside a bus.
- Make eye contact. Ride in the bus driver’s sight line, so that you can see each other in the driver’s side-view mirror.
- Don’t play leapfrog. Wait a few moments behind a bus or cycle quickly ahead.